2-year-olds at the slaughterhouse
DONATE NOW to help end horse cruelty.
Since 2008, we have been working hard to highlight the inherent cruelty of the racing industry to bring about positive change for the horses involved. Through our campaigns, investigations, lobbying and public education, we have already significantly impacted on the racing industry, who before our existence had operated for over 150 years without any accountability for the racehorses they wouldn’t operate without.
Becoming a valued CPR supporter through automated monthly donations is a great way to help us to plan ahead most effectively in our campaigns to end horse cruelty and save lives. However, all contributions are immensely helpful.
Read further on our achievements for horses so far and our current work below…
Our bank account details for direct transfer can be found at the bottom of this page.
Please note: due to the Australian Government not valuing and appreciating the hard work of animal advocacy groups, your generous donations are unfortunately not tax deductible.
Some of the major changes we have seen so far:
- Industry-funded retirement programs in Victoria and NSW – a step in the right direction while we continue to pressure the industry to expand these and campaign for a national retirement plan.
- Whip rule changes –made in both 2009 and 2015, with the industry citing it as a response to our campaigns and ‘public concern’ for the welfare of animals.
- Implementation of retirement form for racehorses – to track racehorses following retirement. A great win – but now we’re pushing for the information to be made available.
- Declining attendance figures – The Melbourne Cup Carnival has seen a 20% drop in attendance figures since 2008.
New South Wales, in particular, has been leading the way on racehorse welfare, by introducing:
- A 1% levy on prizemoney to fund a retirement program.
- The purchase of a 1500-hectare property to be used to rehabilitate and retrain retired racehorses.
- A pledge that horses will be banned from being sent to the knackery.
We are currently taking steps to ensure these commitments are indeed being enforced, through both public pressure campaigns and a pending Freedom of Information request.
ABC’s Four Corners recently aired a damning report on the doping scandals and animal welfare issues that plague the industry, however, we felt this did not go anywhere near far enough to highlight the shocking reality faced by the horses used. In response, we are currently working on a powerful campaign to expose what it really is like for the majority of horses forced into and out of this industry.
Along with continuing on with all our other campaigns, every year, we also ramp up our campaign efforts as the Spring Racing Carnival approaches. Through rallies, disruptions, banner drops, billboards, and more we encourage the broader community to question what it really is they are supporting by attending horse racing. Another important part of our Spring Carnival advocacy is to demonstrate to the public that you can have a great time without contributing to horse cruelty.
On Melbourne Cup Day, (traditionally the first Tuesday in November) while many fancy themselves up, (unwittingly supporting the exploitation of racehorses) to celebrate the industry’s most revered day on the racing calendar, friends of CPR gather opposite Flemington Racecourse (and various other locations around the country) for an afternoon of music, activities, food, drinks and socialising. We encourage attendees to dress up if they so choose and through our banners and fun times make a strong public display to racegoers that we say ‘Nup to the Cup!’
Each year our Nup to the Cup campaign grows, in terms of attendance figures, funds raised, the number of other Nup to the Cup events hosted throughout the country and good times had.
All of these achievements would not be possible without the kind generosity of our financial supporters.
Become a donor today.
For the horses!
To donate over the phone, or to speak with us about other ways to donate, please call us on +61 3 9016 3277
To make a deposit directly to our account
Name: Coalition for the Protection of Racehorses
Please email us with the details of your donation and we will send you a receipt